My photo
After 15 years of using Nokia devices I thought it was about time to say what I think but trying not to be too serious about this. For instance my two Maine coons Del and Rodney have some very important things to say so I thought it necessary to include them.

Tuesday 30 March 2010

Hissings on the N900 - The Hisspurr Continuum

Rodney

Time to continue with our thoughts on this "Marmite" of a device. Love it or hate it, it will definitely stir up an emotion or two.

To keep the purrs going I would like to pass comment on the Contacts and Conversations applications. Something us geeky cats have been hissing about for ages on a Nokia device. Finally a paw in the right direction. The IM integration is great (albeit mostly by 3rd party plugins). It would also be nice if it showed available contacts automatically at the top but that is a minor hiss. But the real killer is the conversations app - threaded SMS and chat messages. PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! This makes me a very happy puddy tat.


Ok so what can I say about the App Manager. Well why does it constantly need to refresh - what happened in the last 2 seconds that it feels the need to refresh. Nothing!!! So why it does this I have no idea. I do know one thing it makes my daddy say some things. Quite loudly too!! Us felines, as cat lovers will know, like to chase things. Especially things on the move. So for us the App Manager is Purrfect for the wrong reasons. Because of the constant refreshing with that green circle going round and round and round. Its great but does make me a little dizzy. As the regards the quantity and quality of apps available for the N900. Well what can you say. There are a few really nice ones that stand out namely WITTER, BARRIOSQUARE, HERMES, FRIENDSTATUS but for the most part they are mediocre. I am not trying to take anything away from the guys that do it in their spare time afterall I need my 18 hrs of sleep a day. You do a grand job but its not quite the same as a professional team. The lack of Ovi Store support for paid apps does not help.



Del

My turn to listen to some music (my bro always hogs the headphones when it comes to the music section so I sat on him. Hehe) and I am glad I did because the media player on the N900 is nothing short of superb. The loadspeakers are damn good too. And the best thing is I can download an OGG codec and play files at 500kbps. So purrleasing to a delicate pussy cat's ears. Especially with the BH905 headset so I don't have to listen to my brothers constant whinging and moaning. Whinging and moaning. Grrrr!!!





One app that kept me interested in the N900 was (believe it or not) Mahjong and I am not that bad at it either with all the boards completed in under 5 minutes. Not bad for a pussy cat if I purr so myself - although a well kept secret is my pedigree as Finland's current feline tic tac toe champion. Shhhh!!!!









Right sorry to put a downer on things but (hack, hack, cough, hack, hack - oops sorry Hairball!!) but onto Maps. Certainly nothing to purr about. It doesn't do anything. Certainly no use to our Jailers who can't find their way out of Ikea (it has arrows in case you don't know). I am sure this situation will not be rectified until the Meego build for the N900 is ready and maybe not even then. I do hope so. As I hope more quality apps will appear when the Meego build comes.

Also daddy jailer took the N900 away the other day - when he brought it back one thing was obvious. It was faster - great for chasing the screen around. I believe he did something with the cpu clock speed and I believe 800Mhz was uttered. I can't be sure as I never quite understand his rantings.


Now my bro Rodney will attempt to answer the Ultimate Question - no not Life, the Universe and everything and the answer is not 42.

Is The NOKIA N900 more interesting than a dripping tap?



No comments:

Post a Comment